Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

"WATCHING OVER MY TERRITORY"

Most of the time, I get the first spark of inspiration for my paintings from a picture or scene which can initiate an immediate emotional connection with me- aesthetically or ideologically. For the painting titled 'Watching Over My Territory', I got that instantaneous spark when I saw one of Seema Suresh's photographs. Seema Suresh Neelambarimohan is an eminent wild life photojournalist in Kerala. I follow her works enthusiastically through social media. She has a wide collection of photographs of birds. The picture that inspired this painting is of a 'Brahminy Kite' sitting on a broken wooden post.
This picture caught my attention because of the title Seema had given it. She named it 'Nireekshanam', which means observation. I felt an interesting connection between the bird's solitude and the title. I decided to translate that emotion onto my canvas, but in a different terrain.

Being an expat in the UAE, what else can be more appropriate than an Arabian Falcon, contemplating its solitude in the desert wilderness. I used different pictures as references in order to get the composition right.  The absence of vegitation emphasises the inhospitable environment and the barrenness of the desert.


These are few pictures of the painting progress.




" Look into my eyes and hear what I am not saying, 
for my eyes speaks louder than my voice ever will."


The wild beauty of red sand dunes, the golden reflection of sunlight on the dunes, the sky which is preparing to greet stars as her night's companion, and the bird who is the symbol of courage and hope; everything makes the scene magical and beautiful.



Yes, he is watching .......

No comments:

Post a Comment